If your child is around 7 years old, it’s about time to bring them in for their first orthodontic appointment!
The American Dental Association and the American Association of Orthodontists strongly recommend taking your child to their first orthodontic appointment by the time they are 7 years old. Doing so will give the orthodontist the opportunity to examine your child’s oral cavity and identify any dental issues that may result in the need for orthodontic treatment in the future. This will help you have peace of mind as well as help you draw out an orthodontic plan for your child. If the treatment is needed, your child should receive their braces between the ages of 9 and 14 years old.
Visiting the orthodontist at an early age will help your child stop habits that may be the cause of development problems, like thumb sucking or tongue thrusting. Early orthodontic treatment can also:
• Correct problems with the bite, like open, deep, under, or over bites
• Reduce the risk of damaging protruding teeth
• Improve your child’s appearance
• Increase your child’s self-esteem and confidence
• Eliminate future dental corrections that might be extremely invasive
• Guide the growth of the jaw to accommodate emerging teeth
If your child receives orthodontic at a young age while the smile is still growing, the treatment may be quicker and more successful than if they waited many years to correct their smile. So, if you’re interested in scheduling an orthodontic appointment for your child, call our office today and talk to a member of our friendly orthodontic team. We look forward to hearing from you!